Your Council

Who's Who

Fourteen councillors represent the whole of Corfe Mullen 10 of whom were elected by the residents of Corfe Mullen in 2019 and 1 in November 2023, 3 co-opted in late 2019, early 2022 and June 2023. 

The next election will take place in 2024 and residents are encouraged to vote for their Town Councillors, as they are the people who will make decisions about what happens within your parish, such as, how much precept the parish should receive for its annual budget, how much money is spent on various amenities and purchases for the parish, how the public spaces are maintained, and they also have a say on planning applications within Corfe Mullen.  Anyone who meets the criteria may stand for election and is indeed encouraged to do so.  Town and Parish Councils are non-political, so there is no need to be a member of a political party to stand for election to the Town Council. 

 Eligibility criteria

Candidates must be qualified to stand for election. The Local Government Act 1972, Section 79, sets out the qualifications for standing as a candidate and the grounds for disqualification of a candidate.

On the day of nomination and the day of poll, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union, and
  • meet at least one of the following four qualifications:

 a) Your name must appear on the register of local government electors for the parish/community at the time of your nomination and throughout your term of office should you be elected.

b) You have occupied any land or other premises as owner or tenant in the parish/community during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.

c) Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in the parish/community area. You do not have to have paid employment to qualify, as long as your main or only place of work is in the parish/community area. For example, Councillors who’s main or only job is being a councillor would be able to use this qualification, if their council office is within the parish/community.

 d) You have lived in the parish/community area or within three miles of it during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.

You may be disqualified as a candidate if:

  • You are employed by the parish/community council or hold a paid office under the parish/community council (including joint boards or committees).
  • You have been declared bankrupt in the last five years and has not repaid your debts.
  • You have been convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to at least three months imprisonment (including any suspended sentence) within the previous five years.
  • You are disqualified due to corrupt practices under the Representation of the People Act 1983 or the Audit Commission Act.

 Nomination process

To stand as a candidate at any election a nomination paper must be submitted. The nomination paper gives details of name, address and political description (if any).

All nomination papers require a signature from two (one proposer, and one seconder) registered electors within the parish. 



Here is a list of the six staff working for the Town Council. 

You can contact them on 01202 698600 or

Town Clerk:  Catherine Horsley 

Deputy Clerk: Rachel Virrill

Administration Assistant: Becky Callender

Groundsmen:  Chris Case, Mike White, Philip Willis, Philip Jessiman

Staff Structure 

What is a Town or Parish Council?





Dorset Council (unitary authority)




Parish or Town, eg.

Corfe Mullen



Civil Parishes are a fundamental tier of Local Government set up in 1894, not to be confused with Ecclesiastical Parishes of the Anglican Church. Each has its own democratically elected local council in accordance with statute. These are called either Parish or Town Councils. There is no difference between Parish and Town Councils: Town councils are just Parish councils which, because of their population, size and impact in their area, have by resolution of their Council taken the name of Town Council, and their Chairman may also be called the Mayor.

Parish and Town Councils are first-tier local authorities and although they have few duties compared to principal authorities (unitary, county, district and borough councils), they have surprisingly wide powers. This means they can choose to provide a range of services, either on their own or in partnership with principal authorities. So keen and active Town and Parish councils can make a real difference to life in a village or town.

Parish and Town Councils also have a right to be consulted on issues affecting the village: this includes the right to comment on all planning applications, proposed off licences, roads, landfill sites etc.

Parish and Town Councils are funded through the precept (sometimes called the parish charge) which is collected as part of your Council Tax.